- FAR WEST – the Old Mormon settlement in Missouri: In August 1836, W. W. Phelps and John Whitmer, two counselors in the Missouri Church Presidency (The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints), selected the one square mile of land overlooking native prairie, as the site for a new town to be called Far West. Settlement of this area at Shoal Creek began immediately. Far West became the county seat of Caldwell county, a region set apart especially for the Mormons. In Far West, the saints built some two hundred homes, several dry good stores and groceries, half a dozen black smith shops, two hotels and a printing office. The city quickly expanded to two miles square, eventually becoming the home of as many as 5,000 inhabitants. Residents laid the foundation for a temple and erected a large school building on the Town Square for use as a courthouse, town hall and temporary church. By the fall of 1838, Far West was the hub of community activity extending throughout Caldwell, encompassing nearly 2,000 farms comprised of approximately 250,000 acres purchased from the Federal Government. Beyond the memories, all that physically remains of Far West today are four cornerstones of the envisioned Lords House or Temple at the heart of the former community. Visitor amenities on the Far West temple site include interpretive monuments, markers and public restrooms. The Community of Christ congregation building, later erected on part of the old Public Square, also stands in honor of the experience of early church members. Visitors may take highway 116 to Highway D. Then drive north 2.8 miles on Highway D. The Far West Burial ground is 1/2 mile north of Far West Temple lot to first dirt road, Kerr Road; turn left and proceed one mile to four-way intersection. The original 24-acre burial ground is located in the northern section of the field on the Southwest corner.
- C. C. RICH LOG HOUSE – Rich Settlement area, Caldwell County MO, 1837
- FLAT ROCK FORD -Located in Rockford Township. Where the Latter Day Saints crossed into Caldwell from Clay County in 1836.
- HAUN’S MILL AND SETTLEMENT – Site of the “Haun’s Mill Massacre” – One of many incidents that drove the Latter Day Saints from the state of Missouri in 1839.
- GRAVE OF JOHN WHITMER – The first historian of the Church of Latter Day Saints and one of eight witnesses to the “golden plates”.
- KIDDER INSTITUTE -An old College located in Kidder, MO. Some artifacts from the Kidder Institute still remain in the Kidder Museum.
- J.C. PENNEY MUSEUM AND BOYHOOD HOME – Visit our website!
Lakeview Golf Course
Address: Highway 36, Hamilton, MO 64644
Hours: Tues Ladies Golf 6:00pm ~ Wed Men League 6:00pm ~ Fri Coulples Golf 6:00pm
Address: 14319 Tait Park Dr., Braymer, MO 64624
Address: Highway 13 S., Polo, MO 64671
Breckenridge City Park
Address: Breckenridge, MO
Maurice L. Robison Memorial Park
Address: 522 S. Franklin St., Kingston, MO 64650
Hamilton Municipal Pool
Address: 100 Memorial Dr., Hamilton, MO 64644
Hours: Seasonal, Monday through Sunday- 1 p.m. – 8 p.m.
Bonanza Conservation Area
Address: 4335-4683 State Highway F, Cowgill, MO 64637
- bird watching
- horseback riding
Soggy Bottom Campground
Address: 5501 NW Kerr Dr., Cameron, Missouri, MO 64429