KINGSTON was established in 1843 and is the oldest town now in existence in the county. It was named for Judge, James King, a popular judge of Richmond, Missouri. He later became Governor of the State.
In the fall of 1843 the second Courthouse, a log cabin, was erected. In 1847 that structure was replaced by the third courthouse, a two-story brick building, that later burned to the ground in April of 1850 and all the records were destroyed. The countyawarded the contract to build another courthouse and appropriated $20,000. The fourth courthouse was completed in September, 1898. On November 28, 1896, a fire once again consumed the Caldwell County Courthouse. The present courthouse was constructed in 1898. Bonds for an indebtedness of $18,000 were passed on March 5, 1898. The court selected the proposal of Kansas City architect L. Grant Middaugh and awarded the building contract to Stanberry Pressed Brick Company for $24,827 in May of 1898. J. W. Harper, presiding judge acted as superintendent of construction. It is now listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
School “for the colored”
A railroad linked Kingston to Hamilton. When the railroad fell to the floods of Shoal Creek, the town began to die. Kingston was also the home of a school “for the colored” which drew from all over the area and that building still stands today in Kingston. Now only a few hundred people live in Kingston.